Career Compass is one of the web applications available to researchers and students. Its purpose is to determine a participant’s fit with certain predetermined profiles based upon a set of validated questions. As a result, STEM students and professionals can use Career Compass to learn about their professional identity. More specifically, participant learns how and why they align with technical professions through questions in five categories. These categories consist of the participant’s goals, values, personality, competences and interests. CC offers the possibility to give (personalised) feedback based on participants answers. Thus, Career Compass differs somewhat from the other software of the BMS lab, such as TIIM and Sociometry. You can read more about the purpose and use of Career Compass on the website of the responsible researchers.
CC offers both a frontend (what the user sees) and backend (what the researcher sees) that are continuously developed. Feature wise CC is in a stable release and in addition to its core features offers:
- User-friendly backend for researchers
- Responsive and highly user-friendly frontend for participants
- Secure data storage on the UT network
- Interactive feedback based upon participant’s answers
Here you can find the tutorials and more information on how to use CC.
Here you can find the most frequently asked questions and their answers.
Running into trouble, fill in the form to get into contact with us.
How can I use Career Compass in my study?
1. Go to https://bmslab.utwente.nl/get-started/
2. Sign-up your a new project or Reserve for an Existing one;
3. Fill in the form and make a Reservation: Choose Equipment, then choose under “Use Environment” Career Compass
4. Register an account on the BMS lab dashboard. Be sure to select the option to register using your UT account. Afterwards, your account needs to be approved before you can access the TIIM app through the dashboard. The dashboard is used to edit and create studies that then become available to participants in the TIIM app.
Note: You should contact the “Bridge the gap” research group or the BMS lab before using Career Compass. Their research is the basis of Career Compass. Moreover, it is important to have a dataset to compare your participant’s answers to. The research group could help you with that. Thus, you should only use Career Compass after consulting either the research group or the BMS lab.