Career Compass (CC) is a web application that collects information from STEM students and professionals on IOS and Android devices. Its purpose is to determine a participant’s (future) professional identity based on questions that are structured in five categories. These categories consist of the participant’s goals, values, personality, competences and interests. When the participant answers these questions, they can receive personalized feedback about their personality and profile which helps them understand how and why they align with a technical profession. Thus, CC differs somewhat from the other BMS Lab softwares, such as TIIM and Sociometry. You can read more about the purpose and use of Career Compass on the website of the responsible researchers.
CC offers both a frontend (what the user sees) and backend (what the researcher sees) that are continuously developed. Feature wise CC is in a stable release and in addition to its core features offers:
- User-friendly backend for researchers
- Responsive and highly user-friendly frontend for participants
- Secure data storage on the UT network
- Interactive feedback based upon participant’s answers
Here you can find the tutorials and more information on how to use CC.
Here you can find the most frequently asked questions and their answers.
Running into trouble, fill in the form to get into contact with us.
How can I use Career Compass in my study?
1. Go to https://bmslab.utwente.nl/get-started/
2. Sign-up your a new project or Reserve for an Existing one;
Note: You need ethical approval before using Career Compass
3. Fill in the form
- Go to the reservation page to reserve the Career Compass tool
- In the menu on the left side, click on “Software”
- Add “CareerCompass” to your cart
- Using your UT account, register an account on the “BMS lab dashboard” (backend/management of the software)
Note: The dashboard is used to edit and create studies that then become available to participants in the CC web application.
- Wait for the BMS Lab approval. This takes place during the first opportunity (Tuesday or Thursday).
Note: You should only use Career Compass after consulting the “Bridge the gap” research group or the BMS lab before using Career Compass. Their research is the basis of Career Compass. Moreover, it is important to have a dataset to compare your participant’s answers to. The research group could help you with that.