Ethica allows you to design studies (questionnaires) and perform both short-term and longitudinal studies. Using Ethica is free of charge for BMS faculty students and employees if they have registered their use of Ethica through the designated procedure. The BMS lab is not able to provide support for Ethica usage and as such its involvement goes no further than registering your study under our license. Ethica’s support is limited as well as part of our license agreement.
Best Practices #
To reduce potential issues and challenges, keep the following points in mind before using Ethica for your research:
Applying for Ethica licence #
- 1. You limit the amount of participants and ask for special clearance (per email) if you expect more than a hundred participants. Always – regardless of the number of participants – indicate the expected number of participants. The reason is that our license has a limit and that we’d like to avoid crossing it or take precautions in time. Our license is charged per week that a participant partakes in your study. This means that it is very importnat to set a realistic end date for your Ethica study. Be sure to de-enroll your participants and/or close your study once you’re done with your research if you were/are not able to set an end date.
- 2. You are responsible for your data. That is always the case with software and equipment used through the BMS Lab, but is especially the case with Ethica. We have no control over your data and improper care might result in permanent data loss. More importantly, Ethica is Canadian. This means that restrictions apply when collecting sensitive (e.g.: medical) data and that additional care should be taken. Read more on this subject in our data policy section and that of the faculty. This is your own responsibility and obligation.
How to get the Ethica licence? #
- • Design your study beforehand and make sure that you meet the requirements.
- • Go to Ethica’s website and sign-up for a trial account.
- • Fill in the form found below on this page to register your study with us.
- • Wait at least 3 working days before starting data collection.
- • Always verify that your license has been upgraded before starting your data collection.
Want to use Ethica? #
Go first through the steps on how to reserve the software or go directly through our project registration to start the reservation process.