The BMS Lab Mobile Lab
One of the laboratories of BMS Lab is a mobile lab. This lab is built into a large Mercedes Sprinter van and is equipped to bring social science experiments to naturalistic settings. Whether participants are residents of a nursery, home for the elderly, elementary schools or in events: using the mobile lab, research can now be conducted on the road! The lab is equipped for a wide variety of experiments, ranging from Virtual Reality (VR) in the field, eyetracking and physiology, to group recordings and observation. You can check the appropriate facilities page to learn more about its capabilities and equipment.
Want to make use of the Mobile Lab?
Researchers and staff at the University of Twente’s BMS faculty can make use of the mobile lab and reserve it using the normal process for reserving facilities and equipment. Our mobile lab can be used for both public events that promote the University of Twente and BMS faculty and research on location. The mobile lab has the following requirements for use:
- Posses the Dutch (or International equivalent) of a B (car) driver’s license for at least 5 years.
- Be a staff member or researcher at the BMS faculty.
- Note: Staff members and researchers at other faculties of the University of Twente can make use of the mobile lab, but will have to contact the BMS lab team. Charges apply.
- Have the appropriate insurance coverage for driving a car.
- Note: The mobile lab is not suitable for parking in most parking garages! It is both too high and long.
- The first day of usage, a BMS lab team member will join for the research. He/she will do a walk-through and check before and after use of the mobile lab. You will receive a quick tour beforehand as well.
- You will be checked out prior to driving yourself.
What is expected of you when you use the mobile lab?
The mobile lab is a high-tech lab on wheels and as such requires more caution and care than a regular rental car or van. Be sure to read the additional policies and instructions for the van and in addition to pay special attention to the following points:
- That you drive safe, park neatly and secure both the mobile lab and its equipment throughout its use. It’s not a Fiat 500 that you can scoot around town in and leave unlocked at the grocery store.
- The lab and its equipment should be recharged and good to go.
- The mobile lab should be filled up with Diesel after you’re done using it. Use the “tank pas” (fuel pass) to get Diesel
- Equipment should be recharged, cleaned and in a usable state.
- That you hand the van in clean. Inside and outside.
- Take it through the car wash if it is used more than one day or has become visibly dirty.
- Carefully and fully clean the inside and make sure no trash and signs of previous use remain.
- Remove any and all data related to your study and ensure that equipment and the settings of equipment are restores to their original and usable state.
- Questions? See the reference card inside the mobile lab. There, all equipment and procedures are explained.