The recent outbreak of the novel Corona virus (COVID-19) has impacted the work done at the lab. Both the University of Twente and the BMS lab have taken measures to help contain the virus. Firstly, part of these measures is the emphasize on the strictly following the hygiene protocols. You can find these protocols below. Secondly, there is a set of measures in place, which is intended to limit the exposure to other people. These measures include extra checks on project proposals and strict procedures when conducting research with participants in person. Read more about the measures and the hygiene protocols below. Moreover, you can read about the University’s protocols and procedures on the University of Twente’s special page.
This page was updated on the 25th of June 2021.
- Lab facilities (rooms) are available. Capacity is however limited to ensure that the ability to keep 1,5m distance is retained.
- You no longer need to apply for special permission to do research in the lab. Our normal reservation procedure suffices.
- You do need to embed measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in your research protocol. These measures should be part of the description of your project when writing your sign-up.
- Research using the BMS lab equipment is possible and is done according to regular procedures.
- Following hygiene protocols when using and returning equipment has become even more important. Moreover, research procedures will need to include measures to prevent potential spread of the virus and limit human contact.
- We produced a new video with instructions on how to conduct research while taking the corona measures in mind (see directly below).
- 18th of March 2020: Closure of the Cubicus building means the BMS lab can no longer loan out or accept back loaned out equipment. Appointments made for this week will need to be rescheduled. Updates will follow.
- 25th of March 2020: Digital infrastructure of the BMS lab will remain available. Physical spaces remain closed. Use of equipment will be possible in a lot of cases after consultation with lab personnel.
- 30th of May 2020: Lab spaces are available again. Use the form below to file your request.
- 22th of June 2020: Lab studies involving participants are possible again. Use the form below to file your request.
- 17th of August 2020: video added.
- 17th of September 2020: Update introduction paragraph to better reflect the page below.
- 2nd of October 2020: Added an English version of the form to request access to the lab facilities.
- 19th of October 2020: Updated the text to better reflect current status of the lab.
- 15th of December 2020: closing between Christmas and New Year added.
- 26th of June 2021: The additional requirement to get special permission for research within the lab’s facilities has been dropped. Moreover, normal procedures have been restored. Hygienic and social distancing requirements are however upheld.
Use of physical spaces:
Form and procedure
The BMS lab is open 5 days per week for research. Research can be conducted in the lab’s facilities through the normal project registration procedure. The lab will however be stringent in evaluating both the available space and the inclusion of procedures to maintain good hygiene and 1,5m distance in your project registration. Your request to use lab equipment or facilities might be rejected for either a lack of space or proper precautions against the spread of the Coronavirus.
Moreover, be sure to watch the video explaining the complete procedure!
Digital services and lending
The Digital services of the BMS lab are fully operational. This encompasses anything from consultation and advice, to the use of our apps and software. Using and returning the BMS lab equipment is possible and follows normal procedures (follow steps on the website). More importantly, researchers will need to take additional care for hygiene and put measures in place against the spread of the corona virus in line with the guidelines of the Dutch government. Get in contact with the BMS lab or your supervisor to learn more or to schedule an appointment.
The protocols and instructions concerning hygiene are posted below. Following these protocols is both emphasized and mandatory. Please take the additional research protocols, like social distancing and hygiene into account when continuing your research in any form.
Be sure to watch the video, which explains the complete procedure and necessary hygienic measures.
- Mandatory instructions regarding to the use of BMS lab facilities or equipment (including the participation in experiments)
- Research protocol video
Equipment specific protocols
We are happy to help. Visit or contact the lab.